(Early Georgia Capital)Heard's Fort was designated the Seat of Government for Georgia on February 3, 1780. The Executive Council met and transacted the affairs of the State in this temporary Capital until early 1781. This designation was made by the Governor and Council in session at Augusta, and was necessary because of the danger that City might at any time be captured by British forces who were practically in control of the State. The fort was a stockade built by Stephen Heard about 1774, when he settled in the area. Stephen Heard served as President of the Executive Council of Georgia, February 18, 1780-1781.
|Series||This marker is part of the Georgia: Georgia Historical Society/Commission series|
|Placed By||Georgia Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 11th, 2014 at 4:19am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 343374 N 3743757|
|Decimal Degrees||33.82245000, -82.69243333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 49.347', W 82° 41.546'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 49' 20.82" N, 82° 41' 32.76" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 100-102 Danburg Rd, Washington GA 30673, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.