This congregation grew from an early Sunday school class directed by Annas Brown, Richard Dukes and Mrs. Vina Harris Forehand, Members of Wesley Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, for residents of the far eastern section of Austin. In December 1880 the group organized as the Simpson Mission Methodist Episcopal Church. The congregation name was chosen to honor Bishop Matthew Simpson (d.1884), a pioneer Methodist leader who was also an active political negotiator, an abolitionist and a noted orator.
Worship services were first held in a community schoolhouse. A frame sanctuary, constructed at the corner of Concho and Gregory Streets in May 1881,was used until the congregation moved to this site in 1922. New facilities were later added here to accommodate the church's continued growth.
Known as Simpson United Methodist Church since 1970, this fellowship has played a significant role in the development of Austin's black community for over a century. Church programs, including mission work, service projects and revivals, have reflected the congregation's strong sense of community pride and involvement. Pastors and members here have included many prominent Methodist leaders.