After 23 years as principal of Live Oak Female Seminary, Washington County, Rebecca K. Stuart Red (1826-1886) founded her own school in 1875. Her husband, G.C. Red, M.D., had a two-story stone dormitory - academic building erected on this site, and the Stuart Female Seminary opened formally in January 1876.
Ashbel Smith, M.D. (past board member, United States Military Academy), was first president of the board of trustees. His successor (1886) was D.F. Stuart, M.D., brother of Mrs. Red. Board members included another brother, R.C. Stuart, State Legislator J.N.P. Cramer, Judge Z.T. Fulmore, the Rev. Josephus Johnson, and the Rev. J.W. Miller. On faculty were Dr. G.C. Red and the Red children, William, Clark, Lel, and Harriet (Mrs. S.W. McJunkin); also Miss Janet Downie, and Mmes. Fannie Speed Davies, Anna Ritz, and Margaret Stiles.
In 1886, at the death of the founder, her daughter "Miss Lel" Red (1859-1946) became principal. In 1889 Miss Red married the Rev. J.M. Purcell, and they continued the school until 1899, when the Red heirs deeded this site to the Presbyterian Synod of Texas. Here in 1902 the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary began its work. It moved to University of Texas area in 1907, but site has remained in public usage.