Here, in 1829, at the corner of Dempsey and Hempstead Roads was established a cemetery in connection with Blendon Central Church. This site was selected by the Blendon Presbyterian Assembly. Being the geographic center of the township, this served as a compromise to the wishes of members living along Alum Creek and those along Big Walnut Creek. The first burial place in Blendon township, Pioneer Cemetery, was located about 2 miles from here on the old Columbus Turnpike. The first sermon preached to the pioneer settlers was delivered in 1812 by Reverend James Hoge of Columbus in a log School House at Pioneer Cemetery. The subject of building a house of worship was discussed in 1826. Finally, in the fall of 1829, a substantial house of worship was built here and dedicated, along with the adjacent burial ground known as Blendon Cemetery. The land was donated by Squire Timothy Lee. Shortly after the dedication, the new Blendon Church burned down. Speculation as to the cause of this fire continues to this day. Gathered around the dying embers, the church members held a prayer meeting and resolved to rebuild as soon as possible. Another church building was erected, in 1830, directly opposite this site at the southwest corner of Dempsey and Hempstead Roads on an acre donated by Edward Phelps.
This marker dedicated May 30, 1969 by the Franklin County Historical Society
Erected by the Blendon Township Trustees
Harry L. Cook, Chairman
Dale Linnabary 1932-1969
V. J. Clapham 1938-1968
Kenneth V. Noble, Jr.
William R. Mnich
Vernon E. Mysell, Clerk