Courthouse built here in 1930, 91st year of Travis County, which in early Texas was in municipality of Mina (later Bastrop) or Travis District, named for Wm. B. Travis, commander at the Alamo. Site of present-day Austin was chosen in 1839 (4th year of the Republic of Texas) as location for the capital, and named for the father of Texas. Local county government began immediately, with setting up of militia beats.
Mormon settlers in 1839 built the first jail and also the first gristmill. Congress in January 1840 formally created the county, which by then had 856 people. 5 forts were in operation to guard against Comanche Indians whose raids went on as late as 1863.
Dams in the Colorado River provide industrial power and create fine recreation lakes. State government, University of Texas, Bergstrom Air Force Base, public institutions and private businesses employ working forces from the county population of 237,000.
The county's 125th anniversary was attained 1964 under the administration of Judge J.H. Watson and Commissioners Robert Barker, Lawson Boothe, N.L. Gault and Arthur Swenson. Historic county emblem was restored and sponsored by County Auditor Weldon's Horton flag was designed by Mrs. Jessie McIlroy Smith.