The first church built by African Americans at Fort Motte grew out of services held by slaves at nearby Bellville, Goshen, Lang Syne, and Oakland plantations. It was formally organized in 1867 by Caleb Bartley, Israel Cheeseborough, Cudjo Cunningham, Anderson Keitt, William McCrae, John Spann, and Harry Stuart.
Rev. S.A. Evans, the first minister, was succeeded by Rev. Henry Duncan, who served until his death in 1905. The sanctuary, built in 1869 on land donated by Augustus T. and Louisa McCord Smythe, was remodeled in the 1970s and the 1990s. Mount Pleasant School educated students here from the 1870s into the 1920s.