This original structure of white pine had previously been cut into sections in New York and floated by sailing vessel down the Atlantic Coast and around the Florida keys before it was erected on this site.
This parish was first organized in 1836 by The Reverend Fitch W. Taylor, Diocese of Maryland, but on February 11, 1837, it was incorporated by the Legislative Council of the Territory of Florida.
(continued from other side)
Vestrymen at the time of the church's incorporation were Colin Mitchell, John Gorrie, E. Wood, George S. Middlebrook, Hiram Nourse, William G. Porter, C.E. Bartlett, Ludlum S. Chittenden, and George Field.
Membership rolls include the names of some of Florida's pioneer settlers — Orman, Raney, Grady, Whiteside, Oven, Branch, and many others.