Founded 1915The church was founded when the Rev. Henry M. Edmonds and many members of a Southern Presbyterian congregation withdrew from the local Presbytery. During the first seven years it met in Temple Emanu-El synagogue and held evening services in the Lyric Theater downtown. In 1922, Independent Presbyterian joined what is now the Presbyterian Church USA (PCUSA). The congregation has focused on the use of beauty in every form as well as community service, which led to the establishment of the Children's Fresh Air Farm camp and Kirkwood - by - the - River retirement community. The church initiated the first programs in Alabama in public health, child welfare and legal aid. The sanctuary, completed in 1926, has stained glass windows by D' Ascenzo Studios and an organ by E. M. Skinner Co. Large sections of the church burned in 1992; reconstruction and additions were completed in 1995.
|Placed By||Birmingham - Jefferson Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 11th, 2014 at 11:57pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 520470 N 3707627|
|Decimal Degrees||33.50800000, -86.77960000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 30.48', W 86° 46.776'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 30' 28.80" N, 86° 46' 46.56" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 3100 Highland Ave S, Birmingham AL 35205, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.