Organized by Rev. Joseph Reese, this church was established Jan. 4, 1772. First located on land given by Dr. Joseph Howard (later moved to present site purchased from Gen. Thomas Sumter), it ordained, 1774, young Richard Furman, whose patriotic oratory caused Lord Cornwallis to put a price on his head, and who became one of the outstanding ministers of the gospel of his day.
This church was a leader in the early struggle for liberty, religious and political, and was the mother of many churches. Inspired by Dr. Furman, Rev. John M. Roberts, Pastor here by 1799, opened Roberts Academy, First Baptist Educational institution in this state. Furman Institute followed in 1826, and later, the Southern Baptist Seminary.