1836On this site stood the LaFayette Foundry, built in 1836 by Alexander Boyles. This operation employed many laborers and the success of the industry resulted in the sale of building lots along Union Turnpike (now Route 15) by Joseph Northrup, Jr. and Mr. & Mrs. John Cummins. This growth contributed to the establishment of Lafayette by the N.J. State Legislature on March 20, 1845. By the 1850 Census population grew to 927. Thereafter, the foundry business and population declined. The building was used as an apartment house prior to being razed in 1900. Population then was 717.
|Series||This marker is part of the New Jersey: Sussex County Board of Chosen Freeholders series|
|Placed By||Sussex County Board of Chosen Freeholders and Sussex County Historic Marker Committee|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 25th, 2014 at 4:59pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 526109 N 4549693|
|Decimal Degrees||41.09810000, -74.68908333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 5.886', W 74° 41.345'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 5' 53.16" N, 74° 41' 20.70" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 101 NJ-15, Lafayette Township NJ 07848, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.