This church, founded in 1825, is the second oldest Methodist congregation in Williamsburg County. That year Robert Sutton gave the "Methodist Society" of this community a parcel 100 yds. square. Its first church, a frame building, was sometimes known as "Suttons Meeting House." It appears in Robert Mills' Atlas of South Carolina, published in 1825, as "Suttons M.H."
Suttons Methodist Church also hosted several annual camp meetings between 1825 and 1860. The second church, a frame building, was completed in 1884. The present brick sanctuary was built in 1953. The cemetery, established in the first half of the nineteenth century, includes the plots of many early church families.
Comments 0 comments