Built 1927Built by the Publix Theater division of Paramount Studios. This movie palace opened on December 26th, 1927. The theatre, in Spanish / Moorish design by Graven and Mayger of Chicago, seated 2500 in a five story, three-tiered auditorium. Paramount's president, Adolph Zukor, named it the "Showplace Of The South". The famous "Mighty Wurlitzer" pipe organ, with 21 sets of pipes, was played for many years by showman Stanleigh Malotte. The Alabama hosted many events including the Miss Alabama Pageant and the Mickey Mouse Club. Closed in 1981, the magnificent old theatre was saved from demolition in 1987 by countless volunteers, organized as Birmingham Landmarks, Inc. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and was designated by the Alabama Legislature as the official State Historic Theatre. Over 500,000 annually visit the grand old theatre for movies, concerts, opera, ballet, weddings, graduations and private parties.
|Placed By||The Birmingham - Jefferson Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 7th, 2014 at 6:46am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 517719 N 3708409|
|Decimal Degrees||33.51510000, -86.80920000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 30.906', W 86° 48.552'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 30' 54.36" N, 86° 48' 33.12" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1811 3rd Ave N, Birmingham AL 35203, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.