>>>———>Confederate Infantry Camp Stephens, named for Alexander H. Stephens, vice-president of Confederacy, was about ½ mile from here on McIntosh Road. Nearly all troops in the Confederate Army from Georgia were mobilized here and at the Cavalry Camp Milner, located at the present Griffin Municipal Park. The site of Camp Stephens is marked by a boulder erected by the UDC. Spalding County provided nine companies, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery, to the Confederate Army and a number of militia companies which served locally. The Spalding Grays, Co. D, 2nd Batt. of Inf., was the first to join the Southern forces.
|Series||This marker is part of the Georgia: Georgia Historical Society/Commission series|
|Placed By||Georgia Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 27th, 2014 at 12:32pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 753034 N 3685353|
|Decimal Degrees||33.27758333, -84.28318333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 16.655', W 84° 16.991'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 16' 39.30" N, 84° 16' 59.46" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||770, 678|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1686-1798 Old Atlanta Rd, Griffin GA 30223, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.