On Nov. 15, 1864. Maj. Gen. G. W. Smith, CSA, was at Lovejoy's Station (13 miles N) with 2800 infantry of the First Division, Georgia Militia, 3 batteries, and about 250 local reserve cavalry, to support Iverson's division of Wheeler's cavalry [CS] which was watching for a movement by Gen. Sherman's army [US] toward Macon and Savannah. That morning, Gen. Sherman began his March to the Sea. Elements of his Right Wing marched from White Hall (West End) near Atlanta towards Jonesboro and Lovejoy's Station.
Although prepared to fight a delaying action in works built at Lovejoy's Station by the Army of Tennessee[CS] following its evacuation of Atlanta, in the late afternoon Gen. Smith learned that the Union column had turned SE, 4 miles N of Jonesboro, toward Stockbridge and McDonough. At dark, he withdrew his force to the fortifications at Griffin to protect the hospital center here.
Late the next day (16th), having learned that the Union forces had moved through McDonough (17 miles NE) toward Jackson and Macon, he withdrew his command to Forsyth (30 miles SE) to protect that defenseless town and to keep his troops in a position to delay the enemy's advance toward Macon.
Comments 0 comments