Alston Graded School
Alston Graded School, one of the first African-American schools founded in Dorchester County, stood here from 1910 to 1954. Named for its founder, Dr. J.H. Alston, it included grades 1-11 until 1949 and 1-12 afterwards. The two-story wood frame school, which was designed by architects Burden and Walker of Charleston and built by N.A. Lee, was moved to Bryan Street in 1953.
Alston High School
Alston High School, located on Bryan Street from 1953 to 1970, included grades 1-12. A new one-story brick school built on the new site in 1953 was constructed for about $200,000. It closed in 1970 after the desegregation of county schools. The present Alston Middle School, on Bryan Street, includes grades 6-8.