301 North Garden Avenue
Built in 1927
The Carmichael House was built by William and Margaret Ziegan Carmichael on 131.05 acres. On December 11, 1911, Margaret, a single woman at the time, purchased the property from John and Ellen Reilly for $8,000. As the years passed, the Carmichael complex grew to include a windmill, water tower, outhouse, garage, and a storage area for tools. Just east of the house was a horse racing track. A vacant house was used as a riding stable. The original house had adobe walls and a hip roof. County records of 1955 indicate that the house was 1,819 square feet with a screened-in porch on three sides. Eventually a bathroom and fourth bedroom were added in the porch area. During storms, everyone gathered in a room located in the center of the house. The large rose bush in front of the house was planted in the 1930s. About 1939 the first deep well was dug just northeast of the house. Prior to that, the Carmichaels used surface water from a shallow well.
William Carmichael died on November 1, 1948. When Margaret Carmichael died in 1961, her nephew, Frank Freihage, became executor of the Carmichael estate. In 1968 Mr. Freihage sold the house to the current owner, Mr. Bob Watkins of Sierra Vista Realty. Margaret Carmichael was a community-minded philanthropist who gave considerable property away to assist local civic groups, government, and churches. Some of her contributions included land for St. Andrew's Church, Carmichael School, a city hall building, and a library.