Interred on this gently sloping hillside are the remains of many of Eufaula's early black citizens. Their names are known only to God because the wooden grave markers which located the burials have long since vanished. This burying ground was used until about 1870 when black interments were moved to Pine Grove Cemetery. In addition to the "Old Negro Cemetery", there are at least five other graveyards including the Jewish, Presbyterian, Masonic Odd Fellows and Public which are part of Present day Fairview Cemetery.
The earliest burials in this cemetery date from Eufaula's pioneer days in the late 1830's and early 1840's. Formerly known as the "Old Cemetery", this public burial ground has been expanded through land purchases and the consolidation of other cemeteries including the Jewish, Presbyterian, Masonic, Odd Fellows and Negro. At the suggestion of his daughter, Claude Hill, Mayor P. B. McKenzie named the cemetery "Fairview" about 1895. The iron fence which borders the property on North Randolph Avenue was salvaged from Union Female College.