PlymouthFirst settled in the 1720's on land acquired from the Tunxis Indians, the Town of Plymouth, originally named Northbury, was incorporated in 1795. It includes the communities of Plymouth, Terryville, Pequabuck (formerly Susanville), East Church, and Greystone. In 1793 Eli Terry began making clocks in Plymouth, a craft carried on by his three sons, notably Eli Terry, Jr., for whom Terryville was named. The 1830's here saw the beginning of lock making, which became a major enterprise with the formation of the Eagle Lock Company in 1854, active until it closed in 1975. In 1847 a grandson of Eli Terry began the casting of malleable iron, a business still operative. Modern industries include agriculture, metal and wood products, meters, plastics, dies, pumps, chemicals, electrical equipment, and computers.
In the old cemetery adjacent to Plymouth Green lie the graves of forty-one veterans of the French & Indian and Revolutionary Wars.
Erected by the Town of Plymouth
the Plymouth Historical Society, Inc.and the Connecticut Historical Commission