[ front ]ThomastonOriginally part of the Farmington Proprietors' purchase in 1684 of Mattatuck Plantation, the Thomaston area achieved independence in 1739, being set off as the Northbury Parish. In 1780 Northbury and Westbury united to form Watertown. By 1795 Northbury separated again to become Plymouth, with the Thomaston section designated "Plymouth Hollow."
Seth Thomas came to the Hollow in 1813 to manufacture clocks on the present factory site. His influence helped to route the Naugatuck Railroad through Plymouth Hollow, linking it with the growing brass center at Waterbury. By 1856 Thomas was labeling his clocks with "Thomas Town" as the place of manufacture.
[ back ]
On July 6, 1875, separation from Plymouth was confirmed by the State Legislature. Thomas Town became Thomaston in memory of Seth Thomas and his famous clocks. A century later diversified industries, a sanitary sewerage system, a new library, modern schools and highways, special housing for the elderly, and sectional playgrounds exist. In addition an attractive business center, seven churches and several recreational parks all indicate that Thomaston has progressed beyond the dreams of our forefathers.
Erected by the Town of Thomaston
the Thomaston Historical Society, Inc.
and the Connecticut Historical Commission