1906 - 1999Lewis began an earnest voting rights drive in the early 1940s. Credited with registering 4 generations of Montgomery voters. He established Citizenship School that tutored prospective black voters to fill out the literacy text. A barrier before the passage of the 1965 Voting Rights Act. Lewis opened, in 1952 the "Citizens' Club," a night club for African Americans who were registered voters and who helped others to become voters. Lewis was a graduate of Fisk University and served as football coach at Alabama State University. In 1958, he became a partner in the Ross-Clayton Funeral Home business. He was one of the founders and first Montgomery Chapter president of the Alabama Democratic Conference, the oldest continuing black political organization in the state. Lewis was elected to the Alabama state legislature in 1974, but resigned in 1976 when U.S. President Jimmy Carter appointed him to serve as a U.S. Marshal. The first black marshal for the Middle District in Alabama.
|Placed By||Alabama Historical Association|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, October 16th, 2014 at 10:33pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 566124 N 3581837|
|Decimal Degrees||32.37155000, -86.29710000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 22.293', W 86° 17.826'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 22' 17.58" N, 86° 17' 49.56" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 400-402 Dericote St, Montgomery AL 36104, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.