"Sacred to the memory of these
pioneers, they came when only the
brave dared come: they stayed
where only the valiant could stay." Lillian Erickson Riggs
Swedish immigrants, Neil and Emma Erickson married in 1887 and established a homestead not far from here. Known as Faraway Ranch, it was one of the first permanent settlements in this area. The ranch is located about a mile east of here along the park road.
The Ericksons' first child, Lillian, was born at Fort Bowie. Two more children, Ben and Hildegarde were born at the ranch house nearby. All except Lillian are buried here in the Erickson family cemetery.
Family members eventually left to pursue careers elsewhere, but Lillian Erickson remained to become the "Lady Boss of Faraway Ranch." In 1923 she married Ed Riggs, and together they operated a guest ranch where visitors could enjoy the beauty of this "wonderland of rocks." The interest they generated in the area led to the establishment of Chiricahua National Monument in 1924.