Organized May 15, 1851
— ETA Chapter March 21, 1907 —Alpha Delta Pi, the first college secret sisterhood, was organized at Wesleyan Female College, Macon, Georgia, the first women's college to grant academic degrees. Originally identified as Adelpheans, the group had three thousand alumnae and sixty active members in 1905 when it change its name to Alpha Delta Phi (Pi in 1913) and began to expand nationally. Eta Chapter at the University of Alabama was the first chapter established in the state. Pi Kappa Kappa, the first local sorority at the University, had organized February 6, 1904 and became affiliated with Alpha Delta Phi (Pi) as the Eta Chapter on March 21, 1907. Installation ceremonies were held in the rooms of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. Eta Chapter went into inactive status in 1909-10 because of the scarcity of eligible women students. Reactivation followed on February 14, 1931.
|Placed By||Alabama Historical Association|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 18th, 2014 at 8:13pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 448907 N 3674326|
|Decimal Degrees||33.20661667, -87.54821667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 12.397', W 87° 32.893'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 12' 23.82" N, 87° 32' 53.58" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 891-923 Magnolia Dr, Tuscaloosa AL 35401, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.