Founded in 1867 by 100 black members ofSalem, Black River, Presbyterian Church (1759)desiring seperation. Dismissal granted, thusbecoming the first black church in Sumter County. The congregation began meeting in Goodwill School, established by the northernPresbyterian Church thru Freedmen's Board.Rev. Matthew R. Miller (1867- 1880), a whiteminister, first pastor. Hamilton G. Witherspoon,in 1868, gave 2 acres for a church site. In 1890,3.74 acres were bought from G.W. and A.M.McBride for a school site.
Dr. Irby D. Davis, was the first
black minister, 1894 - 1924
Dr. Warren J. Nelson, 1925 - 1960,
Dr. E. McKay Miller, 1961 - 1969,
Dr. Franklin D. Colclough, 1972 - 1988.
Dr. John B. Quick. 1989 - ???, interm supply pastor.The dedication of leaders and members of thispioneer church inspires enlarging services inreligious, educational and civic activities athome and abroad.