[ front ]Warren This area was settled in 1737 as part of the Town of Kent. A separate ecclesiastical society called the Society of East Greenwich, established in 1750, led to the founding of a church in 1756 and a separate town in 1786. It was named in honor of General Joseph Warren, hero of the Revolutionary War, who was slain in the battle of Bunker Hill.
In the first century and a half of its life, Warren not only sent forty-three of its men into that war but later, even though engaged mainly in farming, the Town became known as an educational center. Five private schools and academies produced fifteen ministers and educators. Among them were Charles G. Finney, revivalist and president of Oberlin College 1851-1866, and Julian M. Sturtevant, minister and president of Illinois College 1844-1876.
During a half century commencing in 1772, more than 2837 Warren emigrants took part in settling new territories to the north and west.
[ back ]
The population of the town had increased to approximately 1100 by the year 1810 but decreased to a low of 303 in 1930 with the decline of agriculture and the local iron industry. Subsequent regrowth to 990 by 1979 was based on residential development and recreational features including Lake Waramaug, several inns, and a state park and forest.
In 1963 Warren resident Eric Sloane, well-known American artist and author, revived countrywide the custom of celebrating our nation's independence by the simultaneous ringing of bells on July 4th. The focal point of the revival was the bell in the steeple of the Warren Congregational Church.
The old one-room brick schoolhouse, built in 1784, was in continuous use for 140 years. In 1968 it was presented to the Town by Frank Reinhold. The Brick School and the Warren Academy have been restored and furnished with authentic articles of an earlier time, and are open by appointment for public visitation.
Erected by the Town of Warren
the Warren Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission