Edmund Hockaday built the earliest part of this house about 1810. The house was nearly doubled in size in 1830s, with further additions by 1901 and finally in the 1950s.
The house did not remain in one family. It was sold about 1837, again about 1860, by court order in 1896, and also in 1917, 1948, and 1951. Today, it is somewhat arbitrarily called the Wilson House after John E. Wilson and his wife Thelma Crump Wilson, who owned the property from 1951 to 1974. Crump family members remain part owners today through New Kent Courthouse Village, LLC.