Locomotive No. 779, built by the Lima Locomotive Works in 1949, is the last steam locomotive manufactured in Lima. As a "Berkshire-type", it represents the most advanced development of steam power. The Nickel Plate Railroad had a total of 80 such locomotive built between 1934 and 1949 at a cost of approximately $187,000 each. The tender, which was included in each order, carried 22 tons of coal and 22,000 gallons of water.
No. 779 was retired in 1958 after logging 677,095 miles. It was placed on display in the Lincoln Park Train Exhibit in 1966.