Side 1: (Continued on other side)
Elkhart County was formed by the Indiana General Assembly 1830; the first county seat was located in Concord Township. County commissioners relocated the county seat to Goshen 1831. Jacob Studebaker, Goshen, designed first brick courthouse, completed 1833. Barrows and Garnsey, Chicago, designed second brick courthouse, completed 1870.
(Continued from other side)Patton and Miller, Chicago, redesigned and enlarged Renaissance Revival style structure, completed 1909. Contractor, P. H. McCormick, Columbus, dismantled south end tower and dome, added north and south wings, and built new central dome and tower incorporating original 1870 clock. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1980.