Immediately east of the Shelter House, nine holes laid out by James Dalgleish, professional at the nearby Evanston Golf Club, were opened September 5, 1906. An exhibition match featuring Dalgleish and the other two local professionals drew a small, curious crowd. Course expenditures in 1906 were $347.89. Play was free. In 1908, 21 lockers and 2 showers were installed in the unlit, unheated Shelter House basement. By 1911, a rugged nine-hole course had been carved out of the forests "on the hill" to the east, to serve those willing to walk over there and back.