A public school operated here as early as the 1880s. In 1907, three other one-room schools nearby were consolidated here as Darvills Graded School, which was expanded and made a high school in 1913. It was the heart of community activities, notably the annual Darvills Fair, which began in 1916 and continued through the 1930s. Late in 1941, as World War II approached, the U.S. government began condemning 46,000 acres here to establish Camp Pickett. The school closed in 1942 and its buildings were razed except the original graded school, which became a community center. It burned on 5 July 1998.