When this Collegiate Gothic Church, designed by Cleveland architect Herman W. Maurer, was dedicated during the week of of January 3, 1926, the Mount Clemens Daily Leader called it a "Monument to Unity of Action." Over a century earlier, in 1820, the Reverend John Kent had held the area's first Methodist Episcopal services. He formally organized the congregation in 1836. The first church was erected in 1841 on land donated by Christian Clemens, who helped plat Mount Clemens in 1818. In 1849, under the inspiring leadership of the Reverend Seth Reed, the Methodists acquired a larger structure, formerly used by Congregationalists and Presbyterians. A third church, remembered as "The Green Church," was built in 1882 and served until the present one was erected.