Milwaukee's State Normal School, which was founded in 1885 on the city's west side to train teachers, relocated in 1909 to this building, Mitchell Hall, then located on 11-1/2 acres. Designed by Van Ryn and de Gelleke, expanded in 1912, and named after a distinguished Milwaukee family, Mitchell Hall continued as "Old Main" when the institution became degree-granting Milwaukee State Teachers College in 1927 and Wisconsin State College in 1951. The College merged with the University of Wisconsin's Milwaukee Extension Center in 1955-56 to become the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. The campus soon expanded to 91 acres, facilities were continuously constructed, and both undergraduate and graduate degree programs, including doctorates, grew and developed, with a student body of more than 25,000 as early as 1974. Mitchell Hall, renovated in 1977, continues to provide major classroom and office facilities.