Curtis Duplex & Curtis CottagesGeorge W. Curtis came to Prescott from California in 1864, and in 1867 purchased an interest in a sawmill. He purchased a building on Granite Creek on South McCormick Street, and he and his brother John enlarged and modified the building in 1878. This building was known as Curtis Hall and was used as the meeting place for the Territorial Legislature from 1879 to early 1885 and as City Hall. Curtis Hall was described as a "mammoth frame house" which "overshadows every edifice in town". This building was apparently gone by the mid 1880's at which time the Curtis Duplex was built at the same location. The Curtis Duplex appears in an 1885 photograph of Prescott. It was a one-story wood frame building with a porch across the front, covered with shiplap siding. It was an unusual example of multi-family housing, circa 1880. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
|Placed By||City of Prescott|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 12th, 2014 at 7:17pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||12S E 364843 N 3823117|
|Decimal Degrees||34.54090000, -112.47290000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 34° 32.454', W 112° 28.374'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||34° 32' 27.24" N, 112° 28' 22.44" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 139-141 S McCormick St, Prescott AZ 86303, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.