c. 1892Charles came to Bay City in 1864 from Ithaca, NY, to work for sawmill owners Henry Sage and John McGraw, eventually buying the Bay City Dredging Co. His home's architecture is Shavian Manorial, a Queen Anne/Tudor Revival style named after the 1860s/70s neo-medieval work of the English architect Richard Norman Shaw. It was designed by William H. Miller, Ithaca's most prominent late 19th/early 20th century architect, who designed many of Cornell's buildings. Detroit architects Scott & Scott supervised the construction. The home, which has 23 rooms, 9 replaces, and a grand central staircase in the two-story entrance hall, is marked by projecting cross gables, half-timbering, and liberal use of Tennessee sandstone.
|Placed By||Center Avenue Neighborhood Association|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 21st, 2014 at 6:38am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 267511 N 4831158|
|Decimal Degrees||43.59711667, -83.88031667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 35.827', W 83° 52.819'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 35' 49.62" N, 83° 52' 49.14" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 701 N Grant St, Bay City MI 48708, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.