Elders Robert Ware and John Waller, who founded Lower King and Queen (Wares) Baptist Church on 17 Oct. 1772, were imprisoned in 1771 and 1774 for preaching without the licenses required of ministers dissenting from the Church of England. Ware, William Todd, and Isaac Diggs served as pastors here for more than 100 years collectively. As the congregation grew, members formed four other churches: Poroporone (1807), Mattaponi (1828), Olivet (1842), and Second Mount olive (1868). The church here burned on 2 Feb. 1919. The current church building, a simple frame Victorian-style church, was completed in May 1920.