On Nov. 18, 1864, Hq. Military Division of the Mississippi [US], Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, were established here at "Harris? Quarters," the overseer's house and negro cabins of a large plantation owned by Judge John Harris of Covington. Gen. Sherman was accompanying the 14th Corps, Maj. Gen. J.C. Davis.
After stripping the Harris, Graves, and other nearby plantations of livestock, provisions and able-bodied negroes, the 14th Corps departed on the 19th and marched SE through Shady Dale and Sand Town (Newborn) enroute to rendezvous with Hq. Left Wing and the 20th Corps at Milledgeville.