In 1886, the Riverton Branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints purchased choice land for a tithing yard from Samuel L. Howard Sr., located between 12400 and 12600 South, one mile northeast of this park. Members brought one tenth of their crops and animals for their tithing. Freeman R. Lloyd, first supervisor. On level ground was an office building, weight scales, a granary, large root cellar, haystacks, feed managers and barn. The cattle yard and pasture sloped to the Jordan River. Nov, 28, 1913, George W. Bills bought the ground and the tithing yard was closed after 27 years of usage.