This railroad station was constructed between 1908 and 1910 to serve the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad and the Western Pacific Railroad. The Denver and Rio Grande Railroad was completed between Denver and Salt Lake City in March 1883, and the Western Pacific between Salt Lake City and Oakland, California, in August 1910. Designed by architect Henry J. Schlachs of Chicago, Illinois, the building cost a reported $750,000 and is characterized by elements of Beaux Arts Classicism and Renaissance Revival architectural styles. Completed in 1910, one year after construction of the Union Pacific Station three blocks to the North, this railroad station was an important element in the attempt by George Gould to develop a transcontinental railroad system to compete with the Union Pacific. In 1977 the building was given to the State of Utah. It has been occupied by the Utah State Historical Society since December 1980.