Prominent places in the colonial landscape
The town of Accotink was started as a 17th century meeting place. During the colonial period a gristmill and racetrack were located here.
Truro Parish was established in 1732 for Virginians north of the Occoquan River. Pohick Church was builtin 1769. Members of the Virginia House of Burgesses and the King's Council comprised much of the congregation in the 18th century. The Fairfax and Washington families held the front pews in the church, indicating their important role in building the church and serving in the vestry.
Estate of Captain Daniel McCarty and his wife, Sarah Eillback Mason, George Mason's daughter. McCarty was a close friend of George Washington.
Built in 1758, Gunston Hall was the home of George Mason, author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights and the Virginia Constitution. Mason's refusal to sign the Constitution helped create the Bill of Rights.
Home of Henry Lee II and Lucy Grymes Lee, built circa 1750. Boyhood home of "Light Horse Harry" Lee, father of Robert E. Lee.
Carlyle House, Alexandria:
In the heart of historic Alexandria, Carlyle House was built by John Carlyle, husband of Sarah Fairfax, in 1745.
Oxon Hill Manor:
Built in 1711 by Thomas Addison, 1st surveyor of Prince George's County. In 1787, Oxon Hill was leased to George Washington's cousin, Nathaniel.
Built by Augustine Washington, George Washington's father in 1735. Inherited by Lawrence Washington, George's elder half brother. After Lawrence's death, George Washington bought it from Lawrence's widow, Anne (Fairfax) Washington Lee.
Built in 1690 by William Marshall, passed to Thomas Marshall, who was a close friend of George Washington. Also the site of 1745 Ferry Landing. This land became part of George Washington's Union Farm.
Built in 1741 by William Fairfax, Belvoir was the plantation where initial management of the Northern Neck Proprietary took place. William was asked by Thomas, Sixth Lord Fairfax, to manage this important land holding.
Built by Richard Blackburn, close friend of William Fairfax and George Washington.