Utah Historic SiteConstructed 1855-1856 as a residence for Brigham Young and his family, the Lion House takes its name from the recumbent lion carved by William Ward set on top of the front portico. The house was designed by Truman O. Angell and built of stuccoed adobe. Brigham Young, second president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and first Territorian Governor of Utah, died in the house on August 29, 1877. Since its construction the Lion House has functioned as a community social center.
|Placed By||Utah State Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 27th, 2014 at 10:18pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||12T E 424973 N 4513551|
|Decimal Degrees||40.76951667, -111.88900000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 46.171', W 111° 53.34'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 46' 10.26" N, 111° 53' 20.40" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 27-79 E South Temple St, Salt Lake City UT 84150, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.