When Dr. L. J. Meroney and his sister Lena built the theater in 1905, its large seating capacity attracted professional troupes to Salisbury. Two of the most famous thespians of the day, the "Divine" Sarah Bernhardt and the glamorous Lillian Russell, performed on its stage. Also appearing here were "The March King," John Philip Sousa, and the New York Symphony Orchestra. With the advent of motion pictures, part of the building was turned into a cinema; eventually the whole theater became a movie house. Through the years the theater-movie house was known by many different names: Bijou, Fotosho, Grubb, Colonial, Strand, State, Center, and lastly, Towne Cinema.
Piedmont Players Theatre, Inc., purchased the building in 1992. After extensive renovations, they inaugurated the 1995-96 season in their new home. Once again the Meroney Theater is used for stage productions.