Geary's Division - Slocum's Corps.
Brig. Gen. John W. Geary.
Nov. 24th, 1863
First Brigade, Col. Charles Candy.
Second Brigade, Col. George A. Cobham, Jr.
Third Brigade, Col. David Ireland.
The division, re-enforced by six regiments of Whitaker's Brigade of Cruft's Division, was assembled at Wauhatchie Station at daylight, Nov. 24th. It bridged Lookout Creek at Light's Mills above the station, began to cross about 8 A.M., marched by the flank up the mountain until the right reached the palisades, then faced toward the north point of the mountain and moved forward. Cobham's Brigade held the right, Ireland's the center, and Candy's the left. Whitaker's Brigade formed the second line in rear of the right and center. After an advance of a mile and a quarter the enemy's pickets were encountered and his main line attacked in flank, while the left of Geary's line, supported by Grose's Brigade which had crossed near the railroad bridge, moved on its front. Geary's line forced its way over the steep nose of the mountain, and in conjunction with Cruft's troops, carried the Cravens House position soon after noon. The whole right of the Union line then moved forward in the fog some two hundred yards beyond Cravens, and, assisted by five regiments from Osterhaus' Division, held this advanced position under sharp fire. At dark Carlin's Brigade climbed up the mountain from Chattanooga and relieved Geary's front line.