With the right wing of his army in the vicinity of Clinton and Macon, General Sherman, with the left wing, appeared at this point on November 23, 1864. The left wing, consisting of the 20th and 14th corps, was comprised of 30,000 men, 12,000 horses and mules, 1,300 wagons, and several thousand head of cattle. General Slocum, who accompanied the 20th Corps, approached Milledgeville directly from Eatonton. General Sherman, who rode with the 14th Corps, followed the Old Monticello Road. The two Corps united at a junction 300 yards north of this point.