The quartermaster was the officer responsible for a multitude of functions needed to run a military post, including supply, subsistence, construction, and repair. Most of his operation took place here, in the area called the quartermaster complex. On a typical day around 1850, a clamor of activity would have filled the air. Wagons, horses, shouting, the clang of hammer on iron, even the smell of baking bread were all part of the scene.
The complex contained a storehouse, bakery, ice house, corrals, scale house, storage yards, and a large, rectangular quadrangle consisting of workshops and warehouses. The quadrangle area included carpenter, blacksmith, wheelwright, and saddler shops, corn cribs, grain bins, and stables for oxen and mules.
Of the complex's original structures, only the quartermaster storehouse, bake house, and one other stone building survive.