In February 1873 a branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was organized in Evanston by President William Budge, of Bear Lake Valley, Idaho. On May 23, 1873 William G. Burton was ordained bishop. On June 24, 1890 this ward was incorporated under the laws of the state of Wyoming and named Evanston. The board of trustees were James Brown, Thomas Parkinson, John Whittle, Frank Mills and Arthur W. Sims. In 1890 this group, with James Brown as Bishop built the first brick church in Wyoming.