A grist mill, a saw mill and a fulling mill known as Scudders Mill was located on Old Harrison Street 500' from this spot. The mill has been destroyed and Harrison Street relocated, intersecting U. S. Route 1.
Built by Josiah Davison between 1737, when he bought the land from his brother. Dr. Daniel Brinton Davison, and 1749, when he sold it to Jacob Scudder of Long Island for 1,400 pounds.
He bequeathed the thriving mill to his son, Colonel William Scudder of the American Army. In December 1776 the British, housed nearby, destroyed the mill during the American Revolution.
Benjamin Gray and his wife, Jane, bought it at public auction on February 28, 1885, rebuilt the mill known as Grays Mills.
As people became less dependent on the mill, it was left to deteriorate.