Settled at the site of a gristmill on Pepper Creek, this village was originally known as BlackfootTown. The present name of the community isderived from that of John Dagsworthy. A NewJersey native who moved to this area in themid- 18th century, he was awarded aconciderable portion of the Great CypressSwamp by Maryland officials for his servicein the French and Indian War. He became oneof the largest landowners on the DelmarvaPeninsula and achieved considerable success through the export of timber products.The surrounding hundred, or geographicsubdivision in which this community lies, wasnamed in his honor following the settlementof the boundry dispute between Maryland andDelaware in 1774. Dagsworthy was a memberof the Sussex County Committee of Safteyduring the American Revolution, and aBrigadier General in the Delaware Militia.A member of Prince George's Chapel, he was buried there at his death in 1784. Thiswas the birthplace of John MiddletonClayton (1796-1856), a United States Senator and Secretary of State underPresident Zachary Taylor, The town ofDagsboro was formally incorporated in 1899.