(Silver Hill)This historic building lies within a 1,750 acre Duke of York land patent called Saw Mill Range granted to Henry Bowman in 1680. The first known resident of this portion of the tract was Joseph Booth, who purchased 510acres from the Bowman family in 1730. The center brick section of the present structure was built by John Cullen after his purchase of 263 acres in 1746. Reverend Syndenham Thorne, an Episcopal clergyman who was instrumental in Milford's development, bought the property in the 1780s and is interred on the grounds. John M. Clayton, United States Senator and Secretary of State under President Zachary Taylor, spent a portion of his boyhood here. Members of the Clayton family lie at rest nearby as well. This was also the home of philanthropist Col. Benjamin Potter and Dr. William Burton, Governor of Delaware during the early years of the Civil War. Col. Henry Fiddeman, founder of the First National Bank of Milford, came into ownership of the mansion in 1858 and changed the Colonial Georgian architecture to Gothic Victorian. The Draper family purchased the property in 1916. In 1961, the building and grounds, then known as Silver Hill, were conveyed to the Milford Historical Society by J. Richard Draper. The Parson Thorne Mansionwas listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
|Placed By||The Delaware Public Archives|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, September 25th, 2014 at 12:47am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 462283 N 4307276|
|Decimal Degrees||38.91358333, -75.43503333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 54.815', W 75° 26.102'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 54' 48.90" N, 75° 26' 6.12" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 500-506 N Front St, Milford DE 19963, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.