While the north shore catered to a more elegant lifestyle, the south shore retained a touch of rustic charm.
Caption for upper left photo: A "Public House" was first erected on the south shore in 1870 by H.B. Sheldon. It would go by the names of the "Sheldon House" and the "Fountain House" until purchased in 1882 by Edmund T. Hopkins. Hopkins would call it the "Lake View Hotel". Edmund Hopkins in front of the Lake View Hotel.
Text for advertisement in upper right: The Enchanted Summer Land, Lake View Hotel, Farm and Cottages, Devils Lake, Wis., on C. & N.W. RY. The most beautiful and healthful resort in the West, just the place where tired brain workers may rest and get strong. Plenty of fresh milk and vegetables furnished by the farm. First-class accommodations at moderate prices. The Lake is elevated above Chicago about six hundred feet; splendid bathing beach, fishing, boating, etc. Hotel Rates: Per day $2.00. Per week $8.00 to $12.00. For particulars, write or telegraph to the owner, E.T. Hopkins, Baraboo, Wis.
Caption for upper right photo: The Messenger Hotel was located on the southwestern shore of the lake. Oscar Messenger built it in the early 1890's. A visitor could stay for $1.50 per day or $7 to $8 per week.
Caption for middle left photo: The train station at Devil's Lake was located on the south shore. During the busy summer months of the 1890's, the station was manned 24 hours a day. Up to nine trains a day would pass through the Devil's Lake gorge in each direction.
Caption for center photo: Boats of every description could be rented at Devil's Lake.
Caption for lower left photo: Noble Kirk and his wife Sarah owned property near the base of the East Bluff. The area was known as Kirkland. They operated a pavilion that people could rent. Noble invited all folks to use his picnic grounds for free. Noble died in 1895.
Caption for lower middle photo: In 1906, Sarah Kirk would build the last hotel at Devil's Lake. It would be managed by her nephew, Harry Terwilliger. It was known alternately as the Kirk Hotel and sometimes as the Terwilliger Hotel. It would be torn down in 1946, the last hotel in the park to be removed.
Caption for lower right photo: Wagon rides were a popular summer activity.