Georgia's First Chief JusticeJoseph Henry Lumpkin, born in Oglethorpe County, Georgia, Dec. 23, 1799, entered the University of Georgia at fifteen, completing his college education at Princeton, New Jersey, in 1819. Lumpkin passed the bar in 1820 and began practicing law in Lexington, Georgia. He served in the State Legislature, 1824 and 1825, and helped frame the Georgia Penal Code, 1833.
When the Georgia Supreme Court was formed in 1845, the General Assembly elected Lumpkin, Hiram Warner, and Eugenius Nisbet to the bench. His colleagues chose Lumpkin Chief Justice, and he held that position until his death, June 4, 1867. When the University added a school of law, it was given Lumpkin's name, and he lectured there until the outbreak of the Civil War. The eloquent opinions of Georgia's first Chief Justice, who revered the spirit as well as the letter of the law, were of inestimable importance in firmly establishing the Supreme Court as part of the State's legal system.
Lumpkin's beautiful Greek Revival home was built in 1842. After his death in 1867, the house was used by Madame Sophie Sosnowski as her "Home School" for young ladies. It is now the home of the Athens Woman's Club.
|Series||This marker is part of the Georgia: Georgia Historical Society/Commission series|
|Placed By||Georgia Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, October 21st, 2014 at 1:16am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 279828 N 3760310|
|Decimal Degrees||33.96028333, -83.38278333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 57.617', W 83° 22.967'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 57' 37.02" N, 83° 22' 58.02" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 237 Prince Ave, Athens GA 30601, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.