In 1854 the Morris and Essex Railroad Branch of the greater Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad acquired a 6-acre tract between the Morris Turnpike (now Ledgewood Avenue) and the Stanhope-Flanders Road (now Flanders Road) straddling its newly completed rail line, from the Sussex Iron Company. The railroad had completed what was referred to as the Stanhope Station or Stanhope-Netcong Station within this property on the North side of the rail line by 1855. The presence of this railroad stimulated the town of Netcong's industrial potential as once evidenced by the freight sidings for service to the Singer Foundry, Netcong Lumber and the freight station, as well as passenger activities and functions. This one-and-a-half story frame structure was eventually renamed Netcong Station in 1902 due to the expansion and growth of the town of Netcong.
A new brick Netcong Passenger Station, along with a new rail line, was completed on the opposite (South) side of the main line in 1903, with the older frame building serving solely as a freight station. This new station had, for a time, two lines of tracks running on either side of it. The old freight station was torn down around 1910 and replaced with a modest freight building sited to the west of the Netcong Passenger Station. The later 1910 freight house and adjoining freight rails were eventually removed in 1981. The 1903 Netcong Passenger Station remains in use today as part of the NJ Transit rail system.